University of Hawai‘i Press will be among the local publishers, organizations, booksellers, and other vendors exhibiting at the 12th annual Hawai‘i Book and Music Festival taking place next weekend, May 6 and 7, at the Frank F. Fasi Civic Grounds next to Honolulu Hale. Admission and parking are free. Go to the festival website to download detailed daily schedules and a PDF of the map, as well as links to the latest news on its Facebook and Twitter feeds.
• David Forbes, In Haste with Aloha: Letters and Diaries of Queen Emma, 1881–1885 (11:00 am) and Paintings, Prints, and Drawings of Hawai‘i from the Sam and Mary Cooke Collection (3:00 pm talk with Mary Cooke; the book is distributed for Mānoa Heritage Center).
• Frank Stewart, editor of Yosihiko Sinoto‘s Curve of the Hook: An Archaeologist in Polynesia (12 noon). The panel will also include Eric Komori, Alexander Mawyer, and Hardy Spoehr.
• Robin Baird, The Lives of Hawai‘i’s Dolphins and Whales: Natural History and Conservation (1:00 pm).
• Michael Tsai, The People’s Race Inc.: Behind the Scenes at the Honolulu Marathon (3:00 pm).• Tom Coffman, The Island Edge of America: A Political History of Hawai‘i (3:00 pm; no signing at UHP booth).• John Rosa, Local Story: The Massie-Kahahawai Case and the Culture of History (3:00 pm)
• Kapali Lyon will moderate a panel on PALAPALA: A Journal for Hawaiian Language and Literature = Palapala: he puke pai no ka ʻōlelo me ka moʻolelo Hawaiʻi (1:00 pm). No signing is possible but come by for information on this open-access journal.• Dr. Billy Bergin, The Hawaiian Horse (2:00 pm).• Winona K. Mesiona Lee and Mele A. Look, the editors of Ho‘i Hou Ka Mauli Ola: Pathways to Native Hawaiian Health, the latest in the Hawai‘inuiākea series (3:00 pm).
At our tent we’ll have event discounts on the above titles and many others, and will offer free shipping on orders taken onsite. Slightly damaged (“hurt”) stock and a few titles in new condition will have special bargain prices.
We look forward to seeing everyone at this outside celebration of story and song!