Sam Boyd knew the answer and built a home away from home for them in the gambling Mecca of the world. How he accomplished this together with the people who helped him is the story behind California Hotel and Casino: Hawai‘i’s Home Away from Home, published by the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i (JCCH) and distributed by University of Hawai‘i Press. Written by Dennis M. Ogawa and John M. Blink, the book relates a story worth telling and important lessons in business leadership.
November 2008 / ISBN 978-0-8248-3329-9 / $20.00 (PAPER)
Celebrate the publication of California Hotel and Casino at these events and book signings in and around Honolulu:
▪ Thursday, November 13, 10:30 a.m. – Reception and free public admission to the JCCH Community Gallery, which will feature an exhibit of photographs, historical objects, and video to honor Sam Boyd as well as highlight the lasting relationship between between the California Hotel and the people of Hawai‘i. The exhibit ends January 23, 2009.
▪ Saturday, November 15, noon-1:00 pm – Borders, Windward Mall
▪ Saturday, November 15, 4:00-5:00 pm – Borders, Ward Centre
▪ Sunday, November 16, 10:30-noon – Don Quijote, Pearl City
▪ Sunday, November 16, 1:00-2:00 pm – Borders, Pearlridge Center
▪ Sunday, November 16, 3:00-4:00 pm – Don Quijote, Waipahu
▪ Monday, November 17, 10:00-11:30 am – Don Quijote, Kaheka Street (John Blink only)
▪ Monday, November 17, 1:00-2:30 pm – Don Quijote, Kailua (John Blink only)
▪ Tuesday, November 18, 10:00-noon – Marukai Wholesale Mart
▪ Tuesday, November 18, 12:30-1:30 pm – Bestsellers, Bishop Street